Entry types and deadlines are one of the most important parts of an event listing at PaintOuts.com. One of our goals is to keep artists apprised of paint outs looking for new artists and event application and registration deadlines.
Each event works a bit differently in terms of artist selection, but we’ve tried to put them all into one of the following categories:
1. Invitational – Artists are sent invitations by a selection committee. Some invitational events solicit input from various third parties about new artists to consider, but generally speaking, the selection committee does not accept input or requests for inclusion directly from interested artists. We’ve extended this category to also include events where you must be a members of a given artist group to participate. Invitationals are the most difficult paint outs to join, even for established artists.
2. Juried Entry – Artists must submit resumes, images or other information to a jury committee. All entries are evaluated after the due date to determine the slate of artists who will participate in the next event. We classify events as Juried Entry even if the event sends invitations to a limited number of artists. Often invitations are extended to past artists who sold well and Juried Entry is used to bring in new artists to keep things fresh.
3. Open to All Artists – There is no selection process for these events. There’s also no registration requirement or entry fee – you just show up. Open to any artist of any skill level, these events are for fun and fund raising.
4. Open with Registration – Another event open to all artists, but usually with a limited number of spaces filled on a first come, first serve basis. As such, it’s important to get your registration in as early as possible.
5. Open with Registration and Fee – Similar to 4 above but artists are asked to pay a fee to join. The money is used to defray event expenses and raise money for a worthy cause. Fees can vary widely by type and amount so be sure to check out the event website for details.
At PaintOuts.com, we’ve tried to classify each event using these five categories as best we can. But please check each event’s web site to determine the specifics of their selection or registration process. To paint out organizers, if we’ve classified your event incorrectly, let us know and we’ll update your listing as soon as possible. Thank you.